PSE reactor design services
Multitubular reactor scale-up and design
PSE Consulting provides extensive services for design, operational optimization and troubleshooting of multitubular fixed-bed catalytic reactors.
Our team of experts applies model-based engineering techniques to support key design and operational decisions, working closely with your in-house team on aspects such as experimentation.
We use high-fidelity predictive models from the Advanced Model Library for Fixed-bed Catalytic Reactors (AML:FBCR) or our extensive in-house models.
PSE’s industry-proven services cover gas phase or liquid phase reactors. Typical applications include:
- Scale-up from bench to pilot and commercial scale
- Tube-side design to determine, for example, the optimal number and dimensions of tubes
- Shell-side design to determine, for example, optimal baffle configuration, tube pitch, coolant flow, etc.
- Catalyst layer optimization to determine the optimal arrangement and different grades of catalyst and intert
- Impact of catalyst shape, size and internal structure for different catalyst candidates
- Hot spot management
- Kinetics identification, including the kinetics of catalyst deactivation
- Advice on design of experimental programmes to maximize information from experiments and reduce experimentation cost.
Considerable benefits can be realised from applying model-based engineering techniques to multitubular reactor design:
- Better mechanical design improves profitability through increased throughput and better and more consistent product quality.
- Similarly, more uniform temperature distribution through the reactor can extend catalyst life by 6 months, reducing catalyst cost and downtime
- By combining reactor design with design of the separation section it is possible to design an (economically optimal plant), improving process economics by tens of millions of dollars.
- Better understanding of the reactor performance reduces technology risk.
PSE Consulting has a team of experienced PhD-qualified experts in reaction engineering, process modelling and engineering design and optimization, with a wealth of experience from a range of industry projects.
We use model-based engineering design techniques that enable important design decisions to be based on accurate predictive information.
This is taken from high-fidelity advanced process models validated against experimental, pilot or operating data where necessary. Models can be coupled with CFD models where required – for detailed design of complex reactors, including internal geometry.
The techniques are equally applicable to design or optimization of operations.
In this sectionConsulting home Services & solutions Process design optimization Process development Rector design Whole-plant optimization ModelCare
Multitubular Reactor design