Environment & features
ProcessBuilder supports all the "core" flowsheeting functionality familiar to users from generations of traditional flowsheeting simulators.
You construct flowsheets by dragging & dropping unit models from a model palette, connecting them via streams and specifying required values, and then perform steady-state and dynamic simulation.
The difference with ProcessBuilder is that you can also perform steady-state and dynamic optimisation, as well as many advanced applications not available via traditional simulators.
The user environment is a standard drag & drop flowsheeting environment that will be familiar to users of traditional process simulation packages:
However, because ProcessBuilder is built on PSE's powerful gPROMS platform, it has access to all gPROMS' advanced process modellng features too. It thus provides:
- a graphical flowsheeting environment for process engineers
- an advanced custom modelling environment for expert modellers creating new models or managing model libraries
- an execution-only environment for non-modellers such as operations personnel.
Features & advantages
ProcessBuilder is a feature-rich process modelling and simulation environment:
- Drag-and-drop flowsheeting, with intelligent line routing and clearly-differentiated stream types for rapid model construction
- Integrated steady-state and dynamic modelling and solution capabilities
- Palette view to access libraries of models
- Project tree environment for easy access of all elements
- tab-based context-specific forms for entering equipment specification data
- Powerful custom modelling capabilities for creating models specific to your processes, or capturing your IP
- Comprehensive results visualisation: stream variables, tables, 2-D and 3-D plots …
- State-of-the-art steady-state and dynamic process models for all common process equipment
- Equipment not commonly found in process simulators: kinetic reactors (various), adsorption, membranes …
- gPROMS Advanced Model Libraries for Fixed-bed Catalytic Reactors (AML:FBCR), Fischer-Tropsch Reactors (AML:FBCR FT), Bubble Column Reactors (AML:BCR) and Trickle Bed Reactors(AML:TBR), the world's leading reactor models
- gPROMS Advanced Model Library for Gas-Liquid Contactors (AML:GLC) for rate-based modelling of any type of separation equipment
- KBC Multiflash rigorous multi-component physical properties plus binary interaction parameters
- DIPPR database (2000+ components)
- State-of-the-art gSAFT advanced thermodynamics: SAFT-VR and SAFT-γ Mie (group contribution) for strongly-associating fluids
- Other property options, depending on requirements
- State-state optimisation capable of handling many decision variables simultaneously
- State-of-the-art dynamic optimisation, for – for example – optimising batch recipes or feed or product grade change trajectories
- Mixed-integer optimisation for discrete decisions, such as number of stages in a distillation column, or process routing decisions for flowsheet synthesis
gPROMS platform features
- Industry-leading model validation capabilities for estimating model parameters from laboratory, pilot plant or operational data
- Comprehensive Quality Assurance tools, including project comparison and creation of time-stamped Cases
- Library management tools for creating model libraries and making them accessible across the organisation
- Model export tools for exporting ProcessBuilder flowsheets to execute within other environments such as CAPE-OPEN steady-state flowsheeting simulators (e.g. Aspen Technology's Aspen Plus® and Hysys® and Invensys's PRO/II®), The MathWorks Inc.'s MATLAB® environment, Microsoft Excel or custom interfaces (e.g. Visual Basic for Applications)
- Multiple activities using the same model: steady-state and dynamic simulation, parameter estimation, steady-state and dynamic optimisation
- Modelling and solution power specially designed to handle the simultaneous solution of the large number of equations (often hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions) that can result from such modelling.
- Proprietary Model Initialisation Procedures for ensuring robust solution without user-provided initial guesses, even in cases of multiple interacting recycles of mass and energy
- Multiple supported platforms, including Linux and Microsoft Windows 64-bit versions.
gPROMS ProcessBuilder: what do I get?
ProcessBuilder is a modular tool, comprising core functionality and optional extras. This allows you to tailor the product to ensure that you have exactly what you need, without having to pay for unnecessary capabilities.
See the gPROMS ProcessBuilder product sheet for more details