PSE provides a family of advanced process modelling products and solutions all built on a single, unified modelling and solution platform – the gPROMS platform.
The gPROMS platform provides all the essential functionality – drag & drop flowsheeting, first-principles custom modelling, parameter estimation, global system analysis tools, and most important, a powerful optimisation framework that allows you to seek optimal solutions directly rather than by trial-and-error simulation.
Environments & components
The core environment you start with depends on your specific modelling needs:
gPROMS ProcessBuilder is an advanced process flowsheeting simulator for optimising process design and operation of primarily vapour-liquid processes.
gPROMS FormulatedProducts is an integrated environment for design & optimisation of formulated products & their manufacturing processes, primarily for particulate processes.
gPROMS ModelBuilder is an advanced process modelling environment for expert modellers to build, validate and execute steady-state and dynamic custom process model libraries.
In addition to the desktop environments, PSE provides a number of Operational Excellence Solutions that deploy gPROMS models for operational monitoring, optimisation and planning.
Having selected a core environment, you can then add any appropriate functionality from the components listed on the environment's product sheet (see gPROMS ProcessBuilder example).
gPROMS platform functionality
You can add any of a range of platform functionality, model libraries, additional physical property options and other utilities to the core environments as you require:
Advanced process modelling
The gPROMS platform provides state-of-the-art modelling capabilities, including:
- World-leading custom modelling
- Steady-state and dynamic simulation within the same environment
- Advanced parameter estimation, including model-based data analysis
- Powerful optimisation tools for large-scale steady-state, dynamic and mixed-integer (MINLP) optimisation
- Global system analysis tools for systematic sensitivity and uncertainty analysis
- Model export and packaging … and many more.
- Equation-oriented solution power
- High-performance computing for rapid parallel execution on multi-core, cluster and cloud configurations
Advanced materials modelling
PSE is also a world leader in advanced thermodynamics. In addition to many standard physical properties options, such as:
- KBC Multiflash
- OLI systems' OLI
- CAPE-OPEN properties
- Property and binary interaction databanks – for example, DIPPR
- Molecular & ionic species
- Complex species & mixtures
- Gas, liquid, solid phases
- Phase & reaction equilibrium
You can add any of the platform functionality, model libraries, additional physical property options and other utilities to the core environments as you require:
the platform also contains utilities and execution environments, including:
- Links to CFD tools in various ways, for example the multizonal CFD interface
- Toolkits for implementing gPROMS models behind custom interfaces (MS Excel, web)
- The gPROMS Objects for execution within MATLAB, CAPE-OPEN environments, etc.
You can find out more about platform functionality under the gPROMS platform. Other capabilities are described in more details in their respective sections.
Example: gPROMS ProcessBuilder
The core gPROMS ProcessBuilder environment is shown below:
ProcessBuilder provides everything you would expect from a flowsheeting environment. However, unlike traditional process simulators, you can easily add libraries to deal with, for example, water treatment or utilities optimisation, or capabilities such as custom modelling.
An key advantage is that the equation-oriented functionality and sophisticated optimisation and global system analysis facilities of the underlying gPROMS platform make possible a range of new high-value applications such as whole-plant or multi-site optimisation.
Do you have a specific requirement?
The gPROMS family products bundle various platform and library components to provide easy-to-use environments for engineers and operations personnel with more specific requirements.
These are aimed at specialists working in areas such as, for example, crystallization, solids processing, water treatment, fuel cell development and oilfield optimisation. All of the functionality of the domain bundles can be delivered within the core environments if preferred.