Department Software Development Group
Employment basis Full-Time, permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. Our software products enable our customers to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 180 staff worldwide, PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
All of PSE’s modelling products are based on the gPROMS Platform, a sophisticated state-of-the-art software platform that supports all aspects of the development of large-scale mathematical models, their formal validation, and the performance of a range of mathematical computations based on these models. The responsibility for the development of the gPROMS Platform is held by PSE’s Software Development Group, comprising an outstanding team of 40 software developers with backgrounds in computer science, mathematics and related disciplines.
We are now looking for a highly motivated Java Software Developer, with a keen interest and proven skills to help develop and maintain the Java-based user interface of the gPROMS Platform. You will be part of an international, friendly and supportive development team, designing and implementing new functionality and influencing the future architecture of a state-of-art mathematical modelling environment.
As a member of the Software Development Group’s User Interface team, your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Improving the general robustness, performance, usability and workflows of the gPROMS Platform user interface
- Ensuring software quality and maintainability via appropriate design and testing methodologies
- Understanding user requirements, both from internal PSE groups and external users; where applicable, translating these to development projects.
- Resolving critical bug fixes quickly
- Providing technical support to internal and external customers
- Collaborating closely with other gPROMS Platform developers, the Quality Assurance team and our Consultant Engineers to achieve the above objectives.
What qualifications and experience you should have
- Degree-level or equivalent qualification within software engineering or computer science or closely related subject
- Experience of Java programming
- Excellent object-oriented analysis and design skills with a good understanding and practical experience of using design patterns
- Experience in developing multi-threaded applications
- Use of unit testing (JUnit)
- Use of modern version control systems (especially Git) and Continuous Integration (CI) systems (Jenkins)
- Cross-platform software development (MS Windows and Linux)
- Knowledge of/experience using TDD
- Knowledge of Python scripting language
- Experience with data formats such as XML, JSON and HDF5
What skills and attributes we are looking for
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts
- A desire to learn and strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written communication
We operate an open, diverse and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a PSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive internal and external training programme
- Excellent career development
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'