Consultant, Formulated Products
Department Formulated Products Business Unit
Employment basis Full-Time, permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (SPSE) overview:
Passionate, visionary, collaborative and professional; these are some of the things that our customers have said about SPSE. From our employees’ perspective, we operate an open, diverse, multinational and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. Therefore, people tend to stay a long time and grow with the company because at SPSE we all have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
We are now looking for highly motivated Consultant to work in our Formulated Products business unit, which includes Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. SPSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong relationships with global multi-national 'household names'. In EMEA this includes AstraZeneca, Roche, Danone, Nestle, and Syngenta and in North America the customer base includes Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Procter & Gamble, Merck and the FDA.
SPSE is a Gold Corporate Partner of the IChemE and in exchange, you will join our accredited training scheme that offers you a work-based training program that combines formal training, structured on-the-job learning experience, mentoring to gain practical working experience and development to progress being a Chartered Engineer.
We are now looking for a highly motivated graduate engineer/scientist to join the Formulated Products Business Unit, with specific focus on bio(pharmaceutical) and food & beverage products and their manufacturing processes.
A Consultant in the Product Development group in Formulated Products will primarily be responsible for developing and productising new content for the gPROMS FormulatedProducts model libraries with the aim to increase R&D efficiency, optimise the design and operation of manufacturing processes, optimise product formulations, etc. The individual must be able to work in a team and successfully deliver the work within the agreed timelines. From time-to-time, you may be expected to support the technical aspects of sales activities, deliver workshops to clients and/or participate in the execution of consulting and/or other funded-development projects.
This is a particularly varied role, with your duties and responsibilities including a combination of the following:
- Design, develop and test mathematical models to be incorporated within model libraries in the gPROMS FormulatedProducts modelling software.
- Productise the above models via the preparation of industrial examples, documentation, training and demonstration materials.
- Ensure consistency and interoperability with other modules of gPROMS FormulatedProducts.
- Implement and maintain all models, making maximal use of common re-usable components ensuring interoperability and a consistent look-and-feel.
- Support client take-up of the products through delivering high quality training and support.
- Work with clients and prospects to gather requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests; propose formulations for new models and/or extensions to existing ones based on internal and customer requirements.
- Delivering consulting projects
- Applying existing gPROMS FormulatedProducts model libraries to industrial problems presented by our clients
- Developing and applying first-principles mathematical models where an off-the-shelf solution is not present
- Preparing model formulation documentation and project reports
- Ensure projects are delivered to the highest quality and within budgeted cost and time
Required education and skills/experience:
- An MSc or PhD degree in Chemical, Biochemical, Pharmaceutical, Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- First-principles or mechanistic modelling experience. Experience with modelling using partial differential equations is of particular interest.
- Experience with developing mechanistic models for fluid phase processes, particulate processes or bioprocessing is an advantage.
- Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is an advantage.
- Programming (FORTRAN, Python, C, C++) and CFD/DEM experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
- Ability to take on challenges and work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems
- Ability to understand customer requirements, build relationships and focus on generating commercial value.
- Knowledge of the formulated products industries and appreciation of the manufacturing processes typically employed in the manufacture of formulated products is of benefit.
What we offer you:
- Flexible working
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- Excellent career development
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of professional registration and cost of professional books
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
SPSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- Senior Consultant Engineer for Advanced Process Modelling Work
- Senior UI/UX Designer
- Full Stack Software Developer
- Digital Applications Front End Developer
- Senior Applications Engineer, Energy & Chemicals
- Consultant Engineer
- Consultant, Formulated Products
- Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
- Events and Marketing Executive
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.