Senior Applications Engineer, Energy & Chemicals
Department Energy & Chemicals
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Parsippany, New Jersey; Houston, Texas
Salary range: Competitive package
Siemens Process Systems Engineering overview
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (SPSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 280+ staff worldwide, SPSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
Due to growth, we are now looking for highly motivated Senior Applications Engineer to work in our Energy & Chemicals Business Unit. Engineers are responsible for providing technical, solution and process engineering consulting and support for a) SPSE customers, at both an execution and supervisory level, and b) for sales and business development activities. Our customers include most of the major chemicals & petrochemicals and oil & gas companies such as ExxonMobil, Shell and SABIC.
A Senior Applications Engineer is responsible for providing technical, solution and modeling support both to SPSE’s sales team and directly to customers, within the Energy & Chemicals Business Unit. It is a customer-facing role that requires a self-motivated individual capable of building strong technical relationships with major customers, and who has strong communication and persuasion skills along with excellent process, industry and technical knowledge.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Performing pre-sales activities supporting SPSE software and consulting sales, including
- leading technical communication with potential SPSE customers, coordinating with SPSE subject matter experts where required
- using your technical knowledge to match customers’ requirements to SPSE’s software and consulting offerings
- defining and executing software evaluation plans and executing ‘proof-of-concept’ demonstration projects
- responding to written inquiries (e.g. Request For Information).
- Undertaking business development for the Energy & Chemicals BU, including
- presenting SPSE’s software and consulting services to prospects
- working closely with the Sales team to provide technical input and guidance
- developing and nurturing prospects to achieve software and consulting sales.
- identifying and targeting sales opportunities and new leads, making targeted sales prospecting calls to existing SPSE customers and new prospects where appropriate.
- Technical Account Management aimed at building positive and lasting client relationships to help ensure the continued successful use of SPSE’s software products and consulting services
- Providing post-sales product and application support for SPSE’s gPROMS software
- Preparing and conducting training courses
- Providing marketing support, including
- technical assistance in preparation of marketing materials (e.g. white papers)
- presenting at and attending at trade shows and conferences.
- Inputting customer and market requirements into new product development:
- gathering requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests
- proposing formulations for new models based on internal and client requirements.
- Maintaining and updating key solution, technical, industry and communication skills
What qualifications and experience you should have
- A Master’s degree or PhD in Chemical Engineering. A minimum of 3 years commercial experience within the Chemical, Petrochemical, Refining or Oil & Gas industries
- First-principles modelling experience is an advantage
- Understanding of the technical, business and regulatory challenges within the Energy and Chemicals sector
- Ability to understand customer requirements and build relationships
- Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modeling tool is an advantage.
- Experience with HYSYS, Aspen Plus, PRO II or other process simulation tools is an advantage
- Good presentation and client interaction skills
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to prioritize scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems
- Willing to travel within the USA and occasionally Europe
What we offer you:
- Flexible, relaxed environment working with a friendly and highly educated team
- 22 Holidays per year plus US public holidays
- 401k matched up to 5%
- Medical insurance – choice of 3 plans, some of which have 0% contribution and flexible savings account
- Life insurance
- Training and career development
- Reimbursement of professional registration
SPSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The White House issued an Executive Order on September 9, 2021 requiring most federal workers, contractors and subcontractors who do business with the government to get vaccinated against COVID-19. As a result all Siemens employees (including SPSE employees) and contingent workers are required to be fully vaccinated by December 8, 2021. This role will fall under this mandate.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- Senior Consultant Engineer for Advanced Process Modelling Work
- Senior UI/UX Designer
- Full Stack Software Developer
- Digital Applications Front End Developer
- Senior Applications Engineer, Energy & Chemicals
- Consultant Engineer
- Consultant, Formulated Products
- Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
- Events and Marketing Executive
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.