Graduate Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
Department Formulated Products
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Hammersmith, London, UK
Salary Competitive package
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (SPSE) overview
Passionate, visionary, collaborative and professional; these are some of the things that our customers have said about SPSE. From our employees’ perspective, we operate an open, diverse, multinational and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. Therefore, people tend to stay a long time and grow with the company because at SPSE we all have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
We are now looking for highly motivated Graduate Applications Engineers to work in our Formulated Products business unit, which includes Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. SPSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong relationships with global multi-national 'household names'. In EMEA this includes AstraZeneca, Roche, Danone, Nestle, and Syngenta and in North America the customer base includes Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Procter & Gamble, Merck and the FDA.
SPSE is a Gold Corporate Partner of the IChemE and in exchange, you will join our accredited training scheme that offers you a work-based training program that combines formal training, structured on-the-job learning experience, mentoring to gain practical working experience and development to progress being a Chartered Engineer.
The Graduate Applications Engineer – Bioprocessing role is a varied position which involves working with our product development team, communicating with our clients on the technical aspects of a project and applying gPROMS Formulated Products for a wide variety of applications.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Help existing and potential customers apply SPSE’s mechanistic modelling tools to industrial cases
- Able to support customers in their application of the products and work with the sales team to deliver growth
- Development and delivery of hands-on workshops to existing and potential customers
- Managing post-sales customer interaction to enable growth
- Support of existing customers in their application of SPSE products via the SPSE Helpdesk
- Product enhancement; identification and tracking of bugs encountered while working on customer applications.
- Gathering of requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests from customers and prospects to provide input into product roadmaps.
- Work with product experts and customers to develop supporting materials of (video) tutorials of workflows involving modelling and experimentation.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations, software demos and generic training material.
- Development of success stories for customer presentations to SPSE and external events.
- Business development and lead generation through presenting at and attending events, trade shows, consortia meetings, webinars etc.
- Pro-actively instigate new discussions within accounts and prospects to enable SPSE to understand and discover customer goals and challenges relevant to opportunities for SPSE.
Graduates will be enrolled on SPSE’s graduate scheme and given the opportunity to undertake rotations within non-hiring basis functions. This includes working within the product development and consulting teams. The scheme helps graduates to develop a broad range of competencies and gain exposure to the wider business, whilst providing diverse career and professional development opportunities.
Required education and skills/experience:
- A First or 2:1 Master’s or PhD degree in Chemical, Biochemical, Pharmaceutical or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Self-motivated individual capable of building strong technical relationships with major customers, and who has strong oral and written communication skills along with excellent process, industry and technical knowledge.
- An excellent knowledge of bioprocessing.
- Experience of carrying out first-principles modelling is an advantage. Bioprocess modelling skills and/or experience with partial differential equations are of particular interest.
- Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is advantageous but not essential.
- Programming (FORTRAN, Python, C, C++) and CFD/DEM experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Ability to take on challenges and work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to understand customer requirements, build relationships and focus on generating commercial value.
- Knowledge of the formulated products industries (particularly pharmaceuticals and food) and appreciation of the manufacturing processes typically employed in the manufacture of formulated products is of benefit.
- Laboratory experience is an advantage.
- Hands-on experience developing mechanistic models of bioreactors, membrane filtration and/or chromatography is an advantage.
What we offer you:
We operate an open, diverse, and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a SPSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive internal and external training programme
- Excellent career development
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
SPSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- C++ Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Java Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Campaign Manager - Energy
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
- Full Stack Software Developer
- Senior Consultant Engineer
- Business Development Director, Formulated Products
- QA/Test Analyst
- Senior Consultant Engineer - Digital Applications
- DevOps Engineer
- Digital Applications Front End Developer
- Senior Business Development Director – Energy & Chemicals
- Business Development Director
- Graduate Applications Engineer
- Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Graduate Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Consultant, Formulated Products
- Graduate Consultant – Formulated Products
- Summer Internship - Consultant Engineer
- Internship – Consultant Engineer, 6 or 12-month
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.