Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
Department Formulated Products
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Parsippany, New Jersey
Salary range: Competitive package
Siemens Process Systems Engineering overview
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (S-PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 250+ staff worldwide, S-PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
We are now looking for highly motivated Applications Engineers to work in our Formulated Products business unit, which includes Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. SPSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong relationships with global multi-national 'household names', such as Pfizer, Lilly and the FDA. We are now looking for a highly motivated PhD Engineer/Scientist to support our growing business, particularly in the bioprocessing industry. We are looking for a versatile person, that appreciates dealing with clients in the form of delivering customer support and delivering consulting projects.
The Bioprocessing Applications Engineer role is responsible for supporting activities in the core areas of the Technical Sales function encompassing business development to application of gPROMS FormulatedProducts solutions for client applications. This involves working closely with a highly dedicated and qualified technical team and sales operations team during pre-sales and post-sales activities in order to develop business opportunities with clients in the Formulated Products sector with a focus on bioprocessing. It is a customer-facing role that requires a self-motivated individual capable of building strong technical relationships with major customers, and who has strong communication and persuasion skills along with excellent process, industry and technical knowledge.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Technical Account Management including carrying out pre-sales and post-sales activities to help clients and prospects apply PSE’s mechanistic modelling tools to industrial cases.
- Scope and deliver software evaluations, case-based workshops and consulting projects.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations, software demos and generic training material.
- Support existing Formulated Products customers in their application of S-PSE products via the S-PSE Helpdesk.
- Product enhancement; identification and tracking of bugs encountered while working on customer applications.
- Gathering of requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests from customers and prospects to provide input into product roadmaps.
- Business development and lead generation through presenting at and attending events, trade shows, consortia meetings, webinars etc.
- Pro-actively instigate new discussions within accounts and prospects to enable S-PSE to understand and discover customer goals and challenges relevant to opportunities.
- Build positive and lasting client relationships to drive continued successful use of S-PSE’s software products and services.
Required education and skills/experience:
- A PhD in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering. A related technical discipline such as Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry may be acceptable depending on other experience.
- First-principles or mechanistic modelling experience. Bioprocess modelling skills and/or experience with partial differential equations are of particular interest.
- An excellent knowledge of bioprocessing, with laboratory experience in a related unit operation (cell culture, chromatographic purification, membrane filtration etc.).
- Experience with gPROMS®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is an advantage.
- Programming (FORTRAN, C, C++, python) and CFD/DEM experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems.
- Willing to travel within the Americas and occasionally Europe (up to 25% travel time)
What we offer you:
We operate an open, diverse, and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a SPSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Flexible, relaxed environment working with a friendly and highly educated team
- 22 Holidays per year plus US public holidays
- 401k matched up to 5%
- Medical insurance – choice of 3 plans, some of which have 0% contribution and flexible savings account
- Life insurance
- Training and career development
- Reimbursement of professional registration
S-PSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- C++ Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Java Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Campaign Manager - Energy
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
- Full Stack Software Developer
- Senior Consultant Engineer
- Business Development Director, Formulated Products
- QA/Test Analyst
- Senior Consultant Engineer - Digital Applications
- DevOps Engineer
- Digital Applications Front End Developer
- Senior Business Development Director – Energy & Chemicals
- Business Development Director
- Graduate Applications Engineer
- Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Graduate Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Consultant, Formulated Products
- Graduate Consultant – Formulated Products
- Summer Internship - Consultant Engineer
- Internship – Consultant Engineer, 6 or 12-month
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.