Available position DevOps Engineer
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date January 2022
Salary range: Competitive package
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (SPSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk, and make better, faster, and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 250+ staff worldwide, SPSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
An area of strategic growth and investment for SPSE is that of the Formulated Products industries, which include Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. SPSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong accounts, all of whom are global multi-national 'household names'. In EMEA this includes AstraZeneca, GSK, Roche, Sandoz, Danone, Nestle, and Syngenta. This, combined with a North American customer base including Pfizer, Lilly and the FDA supported by the establishment of a dedicated cross-functional Business Unit to focus exclusively on these markets, provides an extremely strong platform for growth and success.
We are looking for a highly motivated DevOps Engineer to support the fast-moving development and testing of gPROMS FormulatedProducts, a major SPSE product aimed at the Formulated Products industries. 50% of your role will be providing DevOps for the Formulated Products team and 50% will be working with the DevOps Infrastructure team on projects that benefit all the development teams at SPSE; covering application testing and deployment methods. You will have a keen eye for systems design and architecture and be able to manage both support activities and maintenance of related CI/CD systems deployed on private and public cloud systems. Your duties and responsibilities will include:
· Developing and maintaining Windows and Linux based CI/CD systems, code review tools and automation pipelines
· Providing technical deployment support to internal and external customers
o Ensuring smooth on-premises deployment of gWAP
· Development and upkeep of the virtualised and containerised application environment in collaboration with the core DevOps team
· Identification of potential new deployment methods and frameworks
·Maintaining, developing, and providing training and support for development tools, systems, and deployment processes
o Build status analysis and troubleshooting
· Representing the Formulated Products team in SPSE-wide DevOps meetings
· Ensuring the systems are working as efficiently as possible and suggesting ideas to improve and streamline processes
· Communicating status, progress, and roadmap of CI/CD systems to the Formulated Products team and other relevant teams within SPSE
· Taking responsibility for the reliability, efficiency, and performance of our services
· Participating in platform performance analysis, software optimization and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
· Collaborating closely with other SPSE software teams including the gPROMS Process development team, the gPROMS Platform developers, DevOps and the Quality Assurance team and our Consultant Engineers
· Participating in out-of-hour support as required for the underlying infrastructure
· Maintenance of build/test pipeline environment
· Repository management
What qualifications and experience you should have
· Degree-level or equivalent qualification within software engineering or computer science or closely related subject
· Language and / or automation scripting experience with Python, Bash, and PowerShell
· Experience with JSON, XML data format (extensively used in SPSE’s products and tools and workflows)
· Knowledge related to computing abstraction layers related to virtualization and containerization (Docker), orchestration, and networking
· Linux (RedHat/CentOS, Ubuntu)
· Experience working with Cloud Platforms (OpenStack, AWS, VMware)
· Usage and administration of version control systems (Git, SVN) and Code review tools (Gerrit)
· Maintenance and setup of CI/CD pipelines and workflows (Jenkins)
· Monitoring and data Visualisation (Grafana, Zabbix)
· Experience with Log Aggregation platforms (Graylog)
· Familiarity with HDF5 data format (also used in SPSE’s products and tools)
· Awareness of the Agile methodology and DevOps processes within SDLC
What skills and attributes we are looking for?
· Self-motivated with a user-orientated work ethic
· Ability to interpret technical origin of high-level issues reported by product developers
· A desire to learn and strong problem-solving skills
· Ability to embrace and adapt to change
· Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems.
· Ability to understand complex technical concepts
· Information security minded approach to development practices
· Ability to work independently and as a team member
· Excellent oral and written English language skills.
What we offer you:
We operate an open, diverse, and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a SPSE employee, you will benefit from:
· Competitive salary
· Company pension
· Medical insurance
· Group life assurance
· 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
· Flexible working hours
· Comprehensive internal and external training programme
· Excellent career development
· Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
· Cycle-to-work scheme
· Perkbox discount platform
· Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
· Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
SPSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- C++ Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Java Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Campaign Manager - Energy
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
- Full Stack Software Developer
- Senior Consultant Engineer
- Business Development Director, Formulated Products
- QA/Test Analyst
- Senior Consultant Engineer - Digital Applications
- DevOps Engineer
- Digital Applications Front End Developer
- Senior Business Development Director – Energy & Chemicals
- Business Development Director
- Graduate Applications Engineer
- Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Graduate Applications Engineer - Bioprocessing
- Consultant, Formulated Products
- Graduate Consultant – Formulated Products
- Summer Internship - Consultant Engineer
- Internship – Consultant Engineer, 6 or 12-month
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.