Applications Engineer, Formulated Products
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE), a Siemens Business, is the world's leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling technology and related model-based engineering and innovation services to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 200+ staff worldwide, PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
An area of strategic growth and investment for PSE are the so-called 'Formulated Products' industries, which include Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. PSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong accounts, all of whom are global multi-national ‘household names’ such as Eli Lilly, Pfizer, Nestle, P&G and Syngenta. This, combined with the establishment of a dedicated cross-functional Business Unit to focus exclusively on these markets, provides an extremely strong platform for PSE’s growth in these sectors.
The Applications Engineer role is responsible for supporting activities in the core areas of the Technical Sales function encompassing business development to application of PSE’s mechanistic product and process modelling environment gPROMS FormulatedProducts in the pharma, F&B, specialty & agrochem and mining industries.
Key responsibilities include creating support materials for sales activities (video demonstrations, user video guides), creating documentation and support materials for conferences, and assisting with workshop materials for clients. You will also build and maintain web-based applications using gPROMS FormulatedProducts library models.
You should be technically skilled with a good technical understanding of how our or similar products work and how clients need to use them, able to communicate well in written communication, have good design skills/affinity for videos and web applications, be digitally literate, and able to create short impactful videos and support material for clients. Prior experience building web-based user interfaces and an understanding of usability requirements is a plus.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Creating materials to support business development for the Formulated Products BU, including
- Finding ways to present PSE’s software and consulting services to prospects by creating user videos and short demonstrations of the products
- Assisting in preparing video materials for events, trade shows and conferences
- Develop appropriate web content to drive product awareness and use
- Create content for product collateral, whitepapers, and trade publications
- Identify Best Practices in presenting products to clients in the manufacturing area through research and case studies
- Maintain a standard set of presentations and other key enabling tools for Sales / Business Development
- Providing post-sales product and application support for PSE’s gPROMS FormulatedProducts software
- Creating user videos for different stages of installing and using the products
- Writing user guides to help users install, use and troubleshoot the products
- Preparing training courses, training and workshop materials that help clients use PSE products effectively
Formulated Products related content for customer support groups and alliances
- Expand our exisiting library of off-the-shelf web applications
- Understand end-user requirements and the capabilities of our existing web applications platform
- Create easy to use web applications with well-structured user interfaces
- Record any defects and enhancement requests
- Maintain and update web applications following platform improvements
- Depending on your degree and interests, you will have the opportunity to be part of PSE’s graduate scheme and rotate through different areas of the Formulated Products business unit including consulting and product development.
- PSE is an IChemE Gold Partner and you will be part of the IChemE Accredited Training and Development Scheme which offers you a wide-ranging programme of training and development opportunities.
What qualifications and experience you should have:
- A MSc or PhD in Chemical, Biochemical, Pharmaceutical or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years of first-principles modelling experience.
- Ability to understand requirements, scope and functional specifications.
- Ability to take on challenges and work independently as well as in a team.
- Good presentation and communication (oral and written in English language) skills.
- Additional languages a plus
- Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and manage unexpected problems and commercial needs.
- Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is an advantage.
- Experience analysing experimental data is beneficial, particularly if it involves model validation.
- Programming (Python, VBA, FORTRAN, C, C++) and CFD/DEM experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Knowledge of the formulated products industries (particularly large or small molecule pharmaceuticals) and appreciation of the manufacturing processes typically employed in the manufacture of formulated products is of benefit.
What we offer you:
- Flexible working
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- Comprehensive internal and external training programs
- Excellent career development
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of professional registration and cost of professional books
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
PSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- C++ Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Java Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Consultant Engineer - Operational Excellence Solutions Group
- Java Software Developer - User Interface
- Business Development Manager, Energy & Chemicals
- Applications Engineer, Formulated Products
- Campaign Manager - Energy
- Senior Consultant Engineer
If you are interested in working for PSE but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.