Java Software Developer - User Interface
Department Software Technology Group
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Hammersmith, London, UK
Salary Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries.
Passionate, visionary, collaborative and professional; these are some of the things that our customers have said about PSE. From our employees’ perspective, we operate an open, diverse, multinational and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. Therefore, people tend to stay a long time and grow with the company because at PSE we all have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) are looking for a motivated Java Software Engineer to join their Software Technology Group, who provide cross-platform (Windows and Unix) scientific software for advanced process modelling, digital design and operation technology to the process industries - our flagship gPROMS platform and software products.
This is a fantastic and rare chance to work in a scientific software company. The successful candidate will join a friendly, diverse, collaborative and supportive team. They will have opportunities to develop themselves via training, involvement in several in-house continuous improvement initiatives and to lead specific feature developments.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the development of new features for external and internal customers (consultants)
- Influence the ongoing design and architecture of the software to meet challenging and exciting scientific problems
- Work collaboratively not only with colleagues in the immediate domain, but also with several other teams, including our team of C++ equation solver experts and the Quality Assurance Group
- Partaking in continuous improvement initiatives to help us develop better software, faster and evolve our capabilities in the rapidly changing arena in which our software operates
- Communicate with management, product owners and consultants to ensure requirements are clear and that expectations of delivery times are realistic
- Provide in-hours technical support to our internal and external customers
- Participation in code reviews
- Identify and fix any bugs
What qualifications and experience you should have:
- The abiility to work both as part of a team and work independently when required.Demonstrable knowledge of the Java programming language and practical experience of using it
- Experience of object-oriented design including design patterns
- A testing mindset with experience in/understanding of one or more of the following non-exhaustive list of item:
- Unit testing (Junit)
- Test Driven Development
- Behaviour-Driven Development
- Acceptance Test Driven Development
- Gherkin syntax
- Testing pyramid
- Continuous Integration
- Experience of modern version control systems (e.g. git) and continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins)
What skills we are looking for:
- A background, or strong interest in, science and engineering
- Experience of working in teams where continuous improvement has been successfully applied
- Unix/cross-platform software development experience
- Knowledge of shell scripting (with python, bash, PowerShell, etc.)
- Ability to break large tasks into smaller ones and understand what makes a good user story
What we offer you:
- Flexible working
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- Comprehensive internal and external training programs
- Excellent career development
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of professional registration and cost of professional books
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
PSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you are interested in working for PSE but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.