Applications Engineer, Energy & Chemicals
Employment basis: Full-Time, Permanent
Location(s): China - Shanghai or Beijing
Start date: Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Siemens Process Systems Engineering (S-PSE) is seeking an Applications Engineer to work in its Energy & Chemicals team to support and further develop the company's rapidly growing business in the Oil & Gas, Chemicals, Petrochemicals and related sectors.
We provide Advanced Process Modelling software and services based on our gPROMS software platform to a global customer base of process organizations, in support of their digital design and operation activities. Our customers include most of the major chemicals & petrochemicals, oil & gas and pharma companies such as ExxonMobil, Shell, SABIC and AstraZeneca. S-PSE is focused on developing and driving the adoption of the next-generation process modelling technology that is at the heart of current digitalization initiatives throughout industry.
We offer you the opportunity to join our internationally-renowned team of experts working in an intellectually stimulating, fast-paced environment with excellent career development opportunities.
An Applications Engineer is responsible for providing technical, solution and modeling support both to S-PSE’s sales team and directly to customers, within the Energy & Chemicals Business Unit. It is a customer-facing role that requires a self-motivated individual capable of building strong technical relationships with major customers, and who has strong communication and persuasion skills along with excellent process, industry and technical knowledge.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Support the creation of new business opportunities, define the requirements for commercial projects and manage the development of model processes.
- Performing pre-sales activities supporting S-PSE software and consulting sales, including
- leading technical communication with potential S-PSE customers, coordinating with S-PSE subject matter experts where required
- using your technical knowledge to match customers’ requirements to S-PSE’s software and consulting offerings
- defining and executing software evaluation plans and executing ‘proof-of-concept’ demonstration projects
- responding to written inquiries (e.g. Request For Information).
- Undertaking business development for the Energy & Chemicals BU, including:
- presenting S-PSE’s software and consulting services to prospects
- working closely with the Sales team to provide technical input and guidance
- developing and nurturing prospects to achieve software and consulting sales.
- identifying and targeting sales opportunities and new leads, making targeted sales prospecting calls to existing S-PSE customers and new prospects where appropriate.
- Technical Account Management aimed at building positive and lasting client relationships to help ensure the continued successful use of S-PSE’s software products and consulting services
- Providing post-sales product and application support for S-PSE’s gPROMS software
- Preparing and conducting training courses
- Providing marketing support, including:
o technical assistance in preparation of marketing materials (e.g. white papers)
o presenting at and attending at trade shows and conferences.
- Inputting customer and market requirements into new product development:
o gathering requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests
proposing formulations for new models based on internal and client requirements.
- Maintaining and updating key solution, technical, industry and communication skills
What qualifications and experience you should have:
- A First or 2:1 Master’s degree in Process, Chemical, or Petroleum Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 2 years of commercial/sales experience.
- Experience in one of the tools would be useful though not essential;
o The application of custom modelling (gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, Aspen Custom Modeller®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool) to solving process systems problems
o The application of modelling tools to chemicals, oil and gas related applications (using for example gPROMS, OLGA or HYSYS Dynamics).
- Programming (FORTRAN, Python, C, C++) experience would be helpful but not essential.
What skills we are looking for:
- Self-motivated individual capable of building strong technical relationships with major customers, and who has strong oral and written communication skills along with excellent process, industry, and technical knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems
- Working knowledge of the oil and gas, chemicals, petrochemicals and refining industries
- Willing to travel within Asia and occasionally
S-PSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'
If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the button 'Apply here'
- C++ Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Java Developers (Future Opportunities)
- Applications Engineer, Energy & Chemicals
- Java Software Developer - User Interface
- Campaign Manager - Energy
- Business Development Rep (Inside Sales), Energy & Chemicals
- C++ (Numerics) Software Developer
If you are interested in working for Siemens Process Systems Engineering but can't currently see a suitable role please click here.