Department Software Technology Group
Employment basis Full-Time, permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. Our software products enable our customers to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 200 staff worldwide, PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
All of PSE’s modelling products are based on the gPROMS Platform, a sophisticated state-of-the-art software platform that supports all aspects of the development of large-scale mathematical models, their formal validation, and the performance of a range of mathematical computations based on these models. The responsibility for the development of the gPROMS Platform is held by PSE’s Software Technology Group, comprising an outstanding team of 40 software developers with backgrounds in computer science, mathematics and related disciplines.
We are now looking for a highly motivated Development Manager, with a keen interest and proven skills to manage the team responsible for the Java-based user interface of the gPROMS Platform. You will be part of an international, friendly and supportive team, delivering new functionality and influencing the future direction of a state-of-art mathematical modelling environment.
As Development Manager, your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day support for team members, including regular 1:1 meetings, managing holiday, sickness and other absences
- Managing team projects, including the planning, status reporting and resolving issues on a project
- Providing feedback through the annual appraisal process, agreeing personal objectives for the coming year, including monitoring performance and identifying corrective actions where applicable
- Providing input and direction to the gPROMS Platform Roadmap
- Supporting career development through identification of training needs
- Co-ordination of team allocated defects and issues, including assignment within the team, tracking and status reporting of the defects
- Setting and monitoring of team development goals
- Recruiting and hiring talent to fill the team positions
- Providing training, guidance and support to new hires during their probation period
- Act as a liaison between team and upper management
What qualifications and experience you should have
- Degree-level or equivalent qualification within software engineering or computer science or closely related subject
- Experience of working in a commercial software development environment
- Experience of managing a stable software development team
- Excellent people skills
- Appropriate project management training
- Experience of recruitment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office toolset
What skills and attributes we are looking for
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts
- A desire to learn while encouraging others to grow and develop too
- Ability to foster a collaborative and support working environment
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written communication
We operate an open, diverse and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a PSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive internal and external training programs
- Excellent career development
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'