Department Software Development Group
Employment basis Full-Time, permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. Our software products enable our customers to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 200 staff worldwide, PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
All of PSE’s modelling products are based on the gPROMS Platform, a sophisticated state-of-the-art software platform that supports all aspects of the development of large-scale mathematical models, their formal validation, and the performance of a range of mathematical computations based on these models. The responsibility for the development of the gPROMS Platform and associated gPROMS Web Application Platform (gWAP) is held by PSE’s Software Development Group, comprising an outstanding team of 40 software developers with backgrounds in computer science, mathematics and related disciplines.
We are looking for a highly motivated DevOps Engineer to support the fast moving development of the gPROMS and gWAP Platforms. As well as providing DevOps for these teams you will also be working with the DevOps Infrastructure Engineer on projects that benefit all of the development teams at PSE. You will have a keen eye for design and be able to manage both support activities and maintenance of related CI/CD systems.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing and maintaining Windows and Linux based CI/CD systems, code review tools and automation pipelines
- Providing technical deployment support to internal and external customers.
- Development and upkeep of the virtualised and containerised application environment in collaboration with the core DevOps team
- Identification of potential new deployment methods and frameworks
- Maintaining and providing training and support for development tools, systems and deployment processes
- Ensuring the systems are working as efficiently as possible and suggesting ideas to improve and streamline processes
- Taking responsibility for the reliability, efficiency and performance of our services
- Participating in platform performance analysis, software optimization and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
- Collaborating closely with other PSE software teams including other DevOps, the Quality Assurance team and our Consultant Engineers
- Participating in out-of-hour support as required for IT and DevOps infrastructure
What qualifications and experience you should have
- Degree-level or equivalent qualification within software engineering or computer science or closely related subject
- At least 3 years commercial experience working with Linux (we use CentOS, Ubuntu) and automation and CI/CD tools (Ansible, Jenkins, Sonar)
- Knowledge related to computing abstraction layers related to containerization (Docker), orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms (AWS) and Cloud deployments (Openstack)
- Knowledge of Python scripting language
- Experience with data formats such as XML, JSON and HDF5
- Networking knowledge and experience including:
- Cisco firewalls & HP switches
- Monitoring applications
- Automation tools
- Awareness of the Agile methodology and DevOps processes within SDLC
What skills and attributes we are looking for
- Self-motivated with a customer orientated work ethic
- Ability to embrace and adapt to change
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts
- Information security minded approach to development practices
- A desire to learn and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written communication
We operate an open, diverse and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a PSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive internal and external training programs
- Excellent career development
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'