Department Materials Modelling Group
Employment basis Full-Time, permanent
Location Hammersmith, UK
Start date Immediate
Salary range: Competitive package
Process Systems Enterprise (PSE) is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software and digital design and operation technology and services to the process industries. Our products enable our customers to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing 180 staff worldwide, PSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D programme spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D activities.
A key pre-requisite for mathematical process modelling is the accurate description of the behaviour of the materials involved in the process. PSE’s Materials Modelling Group (MMG) has the responsibility for the development of gPROMS Properties, a state-of-the-art software application for this task.
We are now looking for a highly motivated Consultant Engineer Developer, with particular focus on advanced thermodynamics for macroscopic modelling of material behaviour (e.g. equations of state), and potentially at the molecular and quantum mechanical levels.
As a member of the MMG, your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Implementing, maintaining and testing new modules, or improving existing ones, in gPROMS Properties and related applications.
- Ensuring software quality and maintainability via appropriate design and testing methodologies.
- Understanding user requirements, both from internal PSE groups and external users; where applicable, translating these to development projects.
- Resolving critical bug fixes quickly.
- Participating in the execution and delivery of projects carried out for PSE’s users and prospective users.
- Advising and supporting PSE personnel and existing and prospective external users in the use of materials modelling technology.
- Preparing and conducting training courses on materials modelling.
- Collaborating closely with other gPROMS Platform developers, the Quality Assurance team and our Consultant Engineers to achieve the above objectives.
What qualifications and experience you should have
- A Masters or PhD degree in Physical Chemistry, Chemical Thermodynamics or related disciplines
- A good understanding of chemical thermodynamics fundamentals
- At least 3 years’ experience in computer programming (preferably C++)
- An understanding of the application of chemical thermodynamics to process modelling (e.g. for separation operations).
- Use of unit testing (e.g. GoogleTest) and integration testing
- Use of modern version control systems (especially Git)
- Knowledge of Python scripting language
- Experience with data formats such as XML, JSON and HDF5
What skills and attributes we are looking for
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts
- A desire to learn and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written communication
- Ability to understand customer requirements and translate them to commercial software solutions
- Willingness to travel worldwide for limited periods (typically of the order of a 2-3 days per calendar quarter).
We operate an open, diverse and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. We have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
As a PSE employee, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive internal and external training programme
- Excellent career development
- Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox discount platform
- Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
- Reimbursement of subscriptions to professional bodies and cost of professional books
If you wish to apply, please click on the button 'Apply here'