The gPROMS platform
A unified modelling and solution platform for all products
gPROMS is now the leading modelling product within the process industries
Dr Geoffrey Robinson FREng, Royal Academy of Engineering
The main applications of gPROMS family products are in model-based engineering activities for process and equipment development and design, and optimisation of process operations.
gPROMS family products are applied by major process and technology organisations throughout the world, across many application areas in all process sectors. It is also used for research and teaching at 200 academic institutions worldwide.
The gPROMS advantage
- support for multiscale modelling, meaning – for example – that it is possible to create a reactor model that takes into account all phenomena from mass transfer in the catalyst pore to full-scale equipment effects simultaneously
- custom modelling capabilities that allow the development, execution and maintenance of high-fidelity models of a wide range of equipment
- the abilty to apply such high-fidelity unit models within a full process flowsheet
- estimation of equipment or process empirical parameters from experimental – laboratory, pilot or operational – data, with estimates of data uncertainty for risk analysis
- steady-state and dynamic modelling within the same environment
- the ability to perform many different activities using the same underlying model
- support for scale-up from minimal experimental data to full equipment, using hybrid modelling technologies where necessary.
Why the gPROMS platform is important
The existence of the gPROMS platform is important both to PSE and to our customers.
Building PSE's software on a single evolving platform brings a number of significant advantages:
- Developments to the platform benefit all PSE products. This brings an economy of scale, justifying our investment in features and capabilities that will benefit many users in diverse application areas
- Uniformity and consistency. All gPROMS family products have a similar look-and-feel
- Interoperability. The common platform enables gPROMS family products to interact with each other easily, where appropriate.