PSE reactor design services
Multitubular reactor scale-up and design
PSE Consulting provides extensive services for design, operational optimisation and troubleshooting of multitubular fixed-bed catalytic reactors.
Our team of experts applies model-based engineering techniques to support key design and operational decisions using high-fidelity predictive models from the Advanced Model Library for Fixed-bed Catalytic Reactors (AML:FBCR).
PSE's industry-proven services cover gas phase or liquid phase reactors. Typical applications include:
- Scale-up from bench to pilot and commercial scale
- Tube-side design to determine, for example, the optimal number and dimensions of tubes
- Shell-side design to determine, for example, optimal baffle configuration, tube pitch, coolant flow, etc.
- Catalyst layer optimisation to determine the optimal arrangement and different grades of catalyst and intert
- Impact of catalyst shape, size and internal structure for different catalyst candidates
- Hot spot management
- Kinetics identification, including the kinetics of catalyst deactivation
- Advice on design of experimental programmes to maximise information from experiments and reduce experimentation cost.
Considerable benefits can be realised from applying model-based engineering techniques to multitubular reactor design:
- Better mechanical design improves profitability through increased throughput and better and more consistent product quality.
- Similarly, more uniform temperature distribution through the reactor can extend catalyst life by 6 months, reducing catalyst cost and downtime
- By combining reactor design with design of the separation section it is possible to design an (economically optimal plant), improving process economics by tens of millions of dollars.
- Better understanding of the reactor performance reduces technology risk.
PSE Consulting has a team of experienced PhD-qualified experts in reaction engineering, process modelling and engineering design and optimisation, with a wealth of experience from a range of industry projects.
We use model-based engineering design techniques that enable important design decisions to be based on accurate predictive information.
This is taken from high-fidelity advanced process models validated against experimental, pilot or operating data where necessary. Models can be coupled with CFD models where required – for detailed design of complex reactors, including internal geometry.
The techniques are equally applicable to design or optimisation of operations.
Find out more
You can find out more by contacting the consulting team at your nearest office. Alternatively request a free consultation below.