How we work
Long-term relationships tailored to how you work
PSE works in many different ways with many different customers in many different process industries.
As an organisation we choose to work flexibly and collaboratively in long-term relationships wherever possible, to maximise the mutual benefit from the application of Advanced Process Modelling.
Products or services?
The 4 pillars of a model-based engineering infrastructure: Software, models, people and workflows
Many of the existing companies in the process simulation and modelling space offer products OR services. PSE offers both. Why?
Our experience shows that to maximise the considerable long-term sustainable value that can be created by model-based engineering requires a well-developed modelling infrastructure of skilled, experienced personnel with strong understanding of business and technology drivers.
It also requires the ability to deliver projects rapidly and to the highest quality. Both of these require skills and experience that are not always readily available in the modern organisation.
Degrees of collaboration
At one end of the scale, we provide purely software, in the form of gPROMS platform products. At the other end of the scale, we may provide a purely consulting service that results in a report deliverable.
However the vast majority of our customer relationships involve a combination of software and services.
Typical modes of operation are:
- At the lower level of involvement, we provide Modelcare assistance. Our innovative ModelCare service lets you call off any level of assistance as and when you require it to ensure rapid and smooth project progress.
- At the higher level of PSE involvement, we might lead a project, while still working closely with your technical and business personnel, to ensure rapid and assured delivery. Often the first project in a sequence is performed this way, with subsequent projects led by the customer team with PSE assistance where required.
- There are many ways of working in between these two. For example, we might work closely with you to create a fit-for-purpose model that is then used by your modelling team to perform the necessary case studies.
Please note that theese are loose, not fixed, categorisations. Customers typically move freely between the different modes of operation, as each project has its own requirements.
A key objective of all of our collaborative work with customers is the transfer of modelling know-how to customers, to enable you to build a modelling infrastructure around advanced process modelling best practice.
We are happy to recommend the appropriate way of working on any project, based on project technical or business requirements, the availability of modelling personnel with the required skills within your organisation, the complexity of models required, the experience that PSE can bring to bear in the application area, and so on.
Why do we prefer to work collaboratively?
We see many advantages to working collaboratively on both sides:
- establish a good understanding of requirements and possibilities, and how these can be addressed by the available technology
- understand where development is necessary in order to meet project requirements, and propose how this can be addressed most effectively
- understand customer priorities and workflows
- transfer know-how to personnel via 'on-the-job' training – in our experience, always the most effective approach
- build good working relationships
- ensure the adoption and transfer of modelling best practice, based on PSE's extensive experience in the field.
For us, there is a further advantage: we get to understand the challenges being faced by industry, and how we need to develop our tools and services to help our customers meet these challenges, based on immediate feedback.